The team of the city of Barcelona is Futbol Club Barcelona, also known as FC Barcelona and by its nickname Barça (a lot of people call it Barca, this a quite common mistake as the ç character doesn’t exist in most languages).
We can arguably say that this is the best club in the world right now or at least one of the top 5 teams.
FC Barcelona history
- The club was founded as a football club in 1899 by a group of 12 men gathered by Hans Gamper, a Swiss businessman, and football lover. Soon, the team became the most popular sports society in Catalunya, and in the 1910’s decade, it started winning its first cups.
- In 1922 the club inaugurated a new stadium – Camp de Les Corts (one of Barcelona’s districts), and the club won its first “Liga”, the Spanish league played against football teams from other cities. When dictator Franco came to power in Spain, after a civil war that ended in 1939, he decided to suppress all Catalan cultural expressions (even speaking this language was forbidden). That’s why FC Barcelona adopted the role then of representing Catalunya, and its motto was coined there as Més que un club (more than a club) for symbolizing the Catalan resistance to Franco’s fascist regime.
- Soon the Stadium Camp de Les Corts was not big enough to host all its supporters and in 1957 the Camp Nou Stadium was inaugurated. We are talking about the biggest field in Europe, and the biggest one at the time it was built. With a capacity of 98,000 people, it is also the 5th biggest one in the world.
- In the 1970’s, Barça began signing up foreign players, as football was becoming a more and more international sport. Many legendary players played for the club during this period, who brought glory and afternoons of joy to the Camp Nou.
- In the year 2007 Pep Guardiola, a former team player, was hired as a coach, and a golden era began for FC Barcelona. In his first season, Guardiola won every competition Barça participated in (La Liga, Champions League, and Copa del Rey), something only emulated by Jupp Heinckes with Bayern Munich and Luis Enrique again with FC Barcelona. He won 14 cups in only 4 seasons.
- It was also the beginning of the best player in history – Leo Messi. Messi is the biggest scorer of FC Barcelona history and in La Liga history, and simply a delight for not only football lovers but for all sports-lovers.
Camp Nou Stadium name
It’s funny that the name Camp Nou was not official until 2001. The former official name was Estadi del Futbol Club Barcelona (FC Barcelona Stadium) but everyone called it Camp Nou – “new field” in English – in opposition to the old Stadium Camp de Les Corts.
Camp Nou capacity
In this arena, almost 100,000 souls can cheer up its team as it’s official capacity is 99,354 people. Can you imagine that many throats passionately cheering its team at the same time? this is a feeling to be experienced at least once in a lifetime!
FC Barcelona legendary players
The team has had some of the best players in history playing in it. Having had these legends is something that makes a Culé (Barça fan) be proud of. Let’s have a look at some of them:
László Kubala (1950-1962)
The Hungarian player was the first international star of the team and signed for FC Barcelona in the year 1950. After 12 years playing for Barça, Kubala retired in 1962 having won everything with the team except for Europe’s Cup, in a final lost in 1961 against Portuguese team Benfica.
One of the many Dutch footballers Barça has had but, for sure, the best one. El Salvador signed in coming from Amsterdam’s Ajax in 1973 and despite having played only 5 years, his magic flooded the Camp Nou every Sunday afternoon. His bond with the club became tighter when he signed in 1988 as the team’s coach, a position he would occupy until 1996.
Diego Armando Maradona
He is considered the best player in the 80’s and arguably one of the bests in history alongside with Messi and Pelé. He played for Barça during 3 seasons between 1982 and 1984, winning 3 titles. His magical and seemingly effortless way of playing will always remind in football lover’s memory.
Another Dutch player, this is the best defender Barça has had alongside with Carles Puyol. Secure when defending and famous for its distance-shooting ability, Koeman will always be remembered as the author of the unique goal in FC Barcelona’s first major cup, Champions League, in 1992.
Ronaldo de Assis Moreira, simply known as Ronaldinho, was the smiliest player that ever touched Barça’s field. His playing was cheerful, always putting first beauty and spectator’s delight over effectiveness. He had a leading role in an era where the team won a lot of titles, including a Champions League. He will be remembered for being the only Barça player to be applauded at the rival’s Real Madrid stadium.
What can we say about this alien-like player? He made his debut back in 2004 being only 17 years old.
FC Barcelona Champions League Cups
In football sport, the most precious and valuable cup to achieve each year is the Champiosn League. Throughout his history, FC Barcelona has won 5 Champions League. Barça conquered this title in the years 1992, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2015.